Обсуждение: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear Stephan,

Thank you very much, this is the best organisation we can think about.

pgAdmin3 is a good way to test and implement the needed features of wxWindows
2.5 for MacOsX. If possible, we would be happy to release binary packages of
wxWindows for MacOsX, like we do in our daily snapshots.

See:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/development.php#dev_snap

Do not hesitate to have a ***quick look**** at pgAdmin3 internals. Until now,
we invested in a MacOsX 10.2 platform on a donated Mac to pgAdmin3 project.
You can have free access to this machine, but this should not be needed as
you have your own. This computer was meant to release daily snapshots of both
wxWindows and pgAdmin3. But we never succeeded in compiling wxWindows with
the required options.

See:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/download.php#source

Any comments and guideline are welcome. Maybe you should register
pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org and give us directions.

Cheers, Jean-Michel Pouré

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
"Stefan Csomor" (by way of Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear Friends,

The last few days, I got in contact with MacOsX wxWindows and asked for help
for pgAdmin3 MacOsX port.

Please find enclosed the kind answer from "Stefan Csomor"
<csomor@advancedconcepts.ch> proposing some support.

Any comments?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

**************************
Dear Jean-Michel

thank you very much for the kind invitation. Unfortunately I am very short
of time right now, as I have to invest all my free time into wxMac itself,
however the way we usually can move forward quite fast is that any specific
problems you have on mac are adressed to me directly, with a description on
how to reproduce the bug, I then update my pg cvs and can try to debug and
either fix it in wxMac directly or submit a patch to your project (which I'd
prefer so that you can verify whether the patch really solves the problem or
hides the symptoms..-)

Is this a workable compromise for you ?

Best Regards,

Stefan

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Adam H.Pendleton
Дата:
I think the first hurdle with pgAdmin3 on the Mac platform isn't
wxWindows related, but rather that Mac OS X doesn't have unicode
support (at least not in the traditional sense).  This means that
wxWindows doesn't support Unicode on the Mac.  Whether wxWindows can be
made to support Uncode is a question Stefan will have to answer, but as
far as I can tell the answer is probably no.  What does this leave us
in terms of Mac options.  Do we want to support a Mac platform without
Unicode?  If so, it will probably require a bunch of #ifdef's and
Mac-specific code inside pgAdmin3 to do so.

In any event, I am more than willing to donate my time to do any work
that is necessary, as soon as we have some kind of consensus as to the
direction of the port.  Also, if I am wrong about the Unicode thing,
let me know what I need to do to get it to work.

ahp

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
"Stefan Csomor"
Дата:
Hi

basically we have two options :

I have implemented unicode for wxMac a few weeks ago with one restriction :

for 10.2 we need the Metrowerks Compiler environement, since their C-runtime
supports wchar, whereas Apple's Dev Tools don't , rewriting wxMac to use
apple's own unicode support at the moment for me is out of the question due
to time constraints

for 10.3 we can work with the apple developer tools

So I guess it would be the easiest way to go for 10.3 only...

Best,

Stefan

> I think the first hurdle with pgAdmin3 on the Mac platform
> isn't wxWindows related, but rather that Mac OS X doesn't
> have unicode support (at least not in the traditional sense).
>  This means that wxWindows doesn't support Unicode on the
> Mac.  Whether wxWindows can be made to support Uncode is a
> question Stefan will have to answer, but as far as I can tell
> the answer is probably no.  What does this leave us in terms
> of Mac options.  Do we want to support a Mac platform without
> Unicode?  If so, it will probably require a bunch of #ifdef's
> and Mac-specific code inside pgAdmin3 to do so.
>
> In any event, I am more than willing to donate my time to do
> any work that is necessary, as soon as we have some kind of
> consensus as to the direction of the port.  Also, if I am
> wrong about the Unicode thing, let me know what I need to do
> to get it to work.

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Adam H.Pendleton
Дата:
On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 12:41 US/Eastern, Stefan Csomor wrote:

> Hi
>
> basically we have two options :
>
> I have implemented unicode for wxMac a few weeks ago with one
> restriction :
>
> for 10.2 we need the Metrowerks Compiler environement, since their
> C-runtime
> supports wchar, whereas Apple's Dev Tools don't , rewriting wxMac to
> use
> apple's own unicode support at the moment for me is out of the
> question due
> to time constraints
>
> for 10.3 we can work with the apple developer tools
>
> So I guess it would be the easiest way to go for 10.3 only...

Hmmm.  Well, I don't have the Metrowerks compiler, but I could probably
get my hands on it if I needed to.  I am not using Mac OS X 10.3, but I
probably could if I needed to (though I don't know how this would help
us).

What is needed to get wxMac to support Apple's Unicode on 10.2?  Is
there anything I can do to help?  I've got the time, but I don't know
the particulars about what would need to be done.

I don't think that supporting 10.3 only is a good idea, only because
10.3 is still in beta, and would be just a useful as producing no Mac
port at all.  OTOH, I can take a look at getting a Metrowerks compiler
to produce binary snapshots.

Dave, what do you think?

ahp

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Adam H.Pendleton wrote:

> Hmmm.  Well, I don't have the Metrowerks compiler, but I could
> probably get my hands on it if I needed to.  I am not using Mac OS X
> 10.3, but I probably could if I needed to (though I don't know how
> this would help us).
>
> What is needed to get wxMac to support Apple's Unicode on 10.2?  Is
> there anything I can do to help?  I've got the time, but I don't know
> the particulars about what would need to be done.

I just checked what happens with our UTF-8 translations, and found that
a non-unicode pgAdmin will work with latin charset languages, so we have
many European languages.
We could go for 10.2 non-unicode, and hoping for true Unicode with 10.3
in the near future.

Currently, the reading of unicode files is broken for non-unicode
builds, this needs fixed.
Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm, tricky one. To be honest I thin we need to try and target 10.2 as
that's what most ppl will have, possibly for some time if Apple make it
a chargable upgrade. Whats the cost implications of getting the
Metrowerks tools? (Not that we have any sort of budget for the project!)

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Lundi 15 Septembre 2003 09:10, Dave Page a écrit :
> Hmm, tricky one. To be honest I thin we need to try and target 10.2 as
> that's what most ppl will have, possibly for some time if Apple make it
> a chargable upgrade. Whats the cost implications of getting the
> Metrowerks tools? (Not that we have any sort of budget for the project!)

Dear Friends,

What does Stefan think of the Fink project? Does it make sense to produce
wxGTK2ud snapshots for Fink and compile pgAdmin3 with GTK2 bindings.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
"Stefan Csomor"
Дата:
Hi

I think perhaps you can even get metrowerks into donating one, I have not
looked into your project makefiles etc , so I don't know what is needed
apart from wx itself, since this will need some work to make everything
compile properly using a CodeWarrior Project file.

Best,

Stefan

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Lundi 15 Septembre 2003 10:31, Stefan Csomor a écrit :
> What is needed to get wxMac to support Apple's Unicode on 10.2?  Is
> there anything I can do to help?  I've got the time, but I
> don't know the particulars about what would need to be done.

Would it be possible to use GNU Recode or GNU libiconv to recode Apple Unicode
into UTF-8. Is this a question of licence incompatibility with wxWindows?

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 port to MacOsX

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Dear Friends,

What does Stefan think of the Fink project? Does it make sense to produce
wxGTK2ud snapshots for Fink and compile pgAdmin3 with GTK2 bindings.

I don't think we can reasonably expect Mac users of pgAdmin to install and use GTK libraries just for this one application.

ahp