Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2024-01-09 at 14:17 -0800, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
> I think we missed something in psql, pretty sure I applied all the
> patches but I see this error:
>
> =# \l
> ERROR:  42703: column d.datlocale does not exist
> LINE 8:   d.datlocale as "Locale",
>           ^
> HINT:  Perhaps you meant to reference the column "d.daticulocale".
> LOCATION:  errorMissingColumn, parse_relation.c:3720

I think you're connecting to a patched server with an older version of
psql, so it doesn't know the catalog column was renamed.

pg_dump and pg_upgrade don't have that problem because they throw an
error when connecting to a newer server.

But for psql, that's perfectly reasonable to connect to a newer server.
Have we dropped or renamed catalog columns used by psql backslash
commands before, and if so, how do we handle that?

I can just not rename that column, but that's a bit frustrating because
it means I'd need to add a new column to pg_database, which seems
redundant.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis