Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests
Дата
Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 02:47:27PM +0530, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 9:42 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> I don't really aim for complicated here, just useful.
>
> It isn't complicated. Such simple error check improve user's
> confidence on the feature and better be part of the 1st cut.

I'm really not sure about that, because it does not impact the scope
of the facility even with all the use cases I've seen where injection
points could be used.  It could always be added later if there's a
strong push for it.  For testing, I'm biased about attempting to load
callbacks in the process attaching them.

>>> With v6 I could run the test when built with enable_injection_point
>>> false. I just ran make check in that folder. Didn't test meson build.
>>
>> The CI has been failing because 041_invalid_checkpoint_after_promote
>> was loading Time::HiRes::nanosleep and Windows does not support it.
>
> Some miscommunication here. The SQL test under injection_point module
> can be run in a build without injection_point and it fails. I think
> it's better to have an alternate output for the same or prohibit the
> test running itself.

The same problem exists if you try to run the SSL tests in
src/test/ssl/ without support build for them.  Protections at the
upper levels are good enough for the CI and the buildfarm, while
making the overall maintenance cheaper, so I'm happy with just these.

It also seems like you've missed this message, where this has been
mentioned (spoiler: first version of the patch used an alternate
output):
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ZUnuzPimkZCOVEcz@paquier.xyz
--
Michael