Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 06/15/2017 12:15 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 11:59 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Do developers use GUIs for databases these days?  I thought they did
>> everything through ORMs.  See, that's the kind of thing one needs to ask
>> them.
>
> That's apples and oranges.  ORMs are for making custom applications to
> talk with a DBMS.  A GUI is for a human to talk directly to a DBMS, such
> as for debugging what their application actually changed or saw, or
> doing administration etc. Having a good GUI is important. -- Darren Duncan

Why do people always thing apples and oranges can't be compared?
They're both fruit, they're both round, they both have vitamin C.

Anyway ... I'm really suggesting that we shouldn't *assume* that GUIs
are important to application developers without *asking*.  I work a bit
with the Django community, and my experience has been that those devs
pretty much use the Django ORM and/or python code to interact with the
database.

BTW, pgAdmin4 is pretty awesome now, except that its packaging is
terrible.  So it's nice-looking and useful, but you can't install it.
That seems solvable if someone has the time.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?