Re: Replace current implementations in crypt() and gen_salt() to OpenSSL

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Replace current implementations in crypt() and gen_salt() to OpenSSL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16.02.24 14:30, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> I wonder if it's worth trying to make pgcrypto disallow non-FIPS compliant
>>> ciphers when the compiled against OpenSSL is running with FIPS mode enabled, or
>>> raise a WARNING when used?  It seems rather unlikely that someone running
>>> OpenSSL with FIPS=yes want to use our DES cipher without there being an error
>>> or misconfiguration somewhere.
>>
>> I wonder on what level this kind of check would be done.  For example, the password hashing done for SCRAM is not
FIPS-complianteither, but surely we don't want to disallow that.

> Can you elaborate?  When building with OpenSSL all SCRAM hashing will use the
> OpenSSL implementation of pg_hmac and pg_cryptohash, so it would be subject to
> OpenSSL FIPS configuration no?

Yes, but the overall methods of composing all this into secrets and
protocol messages etc. are not covered by FIPS.

>> Maybe this should be done on the level of block ciphers.  So if someone wanted to add a "crypt-aes" module, that
wouldthen continue to work.

> That's a fair point, we can check individual ciphers.  I'll hack up a version
> doing this.

Like, if we did a "crypt-aes", would that be FIPS-compliant?  I don't know.