Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 03:43:32PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2023-12-21 Th 03:01, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Andrew, was the original target of pgperlsyncheck committers and
>> hackers who played with the MSVC scripts but could not run sanity
>> checks on Windows (see [1])?
>

> yes.

Okay, thanks.  Wouldn't it be better to remove it at the end?  With
the main use case behind its introduction being gone, it is less
attractive to keep maintaining it.  If some people have been using it
in their workflows, I'm OK to keep it but the rest of the tree can be
checked at runtime as well.

> I'm actually a bit dubious about win32tzlist.pl. Win32::Registry is not
> present in a recent Strawberry Perl installation, and its latest version
> says it is obsolete, although it's still included in the cpan bundle
> libwin32.
>
> I wonder who has actually run the script any time recently?

Hmm...  I've never run it with meson on Win32.

> In any case, we can probably work around the syncheck issue by making the
> module a runtime requirement rather than a compile time requirement, by
> using "require" instead of "use".

Interesting.  Another trick would be needed for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
like what the dummylib but local to win32tzlist.pl.  Roughly among
these lines:
-use Win32::Registry;
+use Config;
+
+require Win32::Registry;

 my $tzfile = 'src/bin/initdb/findtimezone.c';

+if ($Config{osname} ne 'MSWin32' && $Config{osname} ne 'msys')
+{
+    use vars qw($HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);
+}
--