Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-12-21 Th 03:01, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 11:39:15PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Can't we teach the tool that it should not validate src/tools/win32tzlist.pl
>> on !windows? It's obviously windows specific code, and it's special case
>> enough that there doesn't seem like a need to develop it on !windows.
> I am not really excited about keeping a dummy library for the sake of
> a script checking if this WIN32-only file is correctly written, and
> I've never used pgperlsyncheck, TBH, since it exists in af616ce48347.
> Anyway, we could just tweak the list of files returned by
> find_perl_files as win32tzlist.pl is valid for perltidy and
> perlcritic.
>
> Andrew, was the original target of pgperlsyncheck committers and
> hackers who played with the MSVC scripts but could not run sanity
> checks on Windows (see [1])?

yes.

> There are a few more cases like the
> Unicode scripts or some of the stuff in src/tools/ where that can be
> useful still these are not touched on a daily basis.  The rest of the
> pm files are for TAP tests, one for Unicode.  I'm OK to tweak the
> script, still, if its main purpose is gone..
>
> [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f3c12e2c-618f-cb6f-082b-a2f604dbe73f@2ndQuadrant.com

I'm actually a bit dubious about win32tzlist.pl. Win32::Registry is not
present in a recent Strawberry Perl installation, and its latest version
says it is obsolete, although it's still included in the cpan bundle
libwin32.

I wonder who has actually run the script any time recently?

In any case, we can probably work around the syncheck issue by making
the module a runtime requirement rather than a compile time requirement,
by using "require" instead of "use".

cheers

andrew

--