Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification

От Katherine Mcmillan
Тема Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hello all,

Not sure about this idea, but possibly a better one than having a single company (ex. Red Hat and EDB come to mind) run the show for certifications/competency rating.  I like it from this respect.

I will love the idea if you are able to, somehow, offer the training/testing in languages other than English.  PostgreSQL is an international open source project and English-only training/testing is not very appropriate.  This gives a huge advantage to the community's native English speakers (the goal here is to produce something 'unbiased' I thought).

Perhaps develop it in English, with input from those from non-English speaking countries on your working group, and then have it translated into multiple languages (also: be careful how you prioritize these, but if you have, say, a member from India on your working group, perhaps Hindi becomes one of the first).

Sincerely,
Katie

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks>
Sent: 02 June 2023 07:04
To: Valeria Kaplan <kaplan.valeria@gmail.com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec>; Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>; PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification

Attention : courriel externe | external email

On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 at 05:57, Valeria Kaplan <kaplan.valeria@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for bringing this topic to discussion, Jaime!

To add to Adrian's questions here are my 5 cents

Postgres is a community that consists of people from different companies with variety of interests:
- Postgres/open source/community-focused interests
- personal interests
- their company's interests

To create a fully "unbiased" certification there is a need for a working group whose interests would be fully aligned.
Agreed

I must admit, I'm a bit pessimistic about a unified Postgres certification as it would put people who would be working on it in a difficult situation when they're serving all the abovementioned interests.

My pessimism is more around how you keep the answers from becoming public knowledge. I don't think that should stop us from working on this however.

Dave

Valeria

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 6/1/23 15:04, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At PgCon I mentioned a was going to create this thread so here we go:
>

> So, having a certification made from a pool of validated
> questions/answers don't only will help companies choosing trainings
> but will in effect improve the quality of trainers.
>
> There are a lot of open questions yet, like where the exams will be
> taken. In the community infrastructure? in the company's?
>
> but I guess we have still enough for start commenting.
1) Who oversees all of the above?

2) How are the questions and answers developed without leaking the
information out to test takers?

3) Does core mean just the community Postgres?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification
Сообщение: Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification