RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby

От Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Amit,

> I think we should be able to detect it if we want but do we want to
> add this restriction considering that users can always install the
> required plugins after standby gets promoted? I think we can do either
> way in this case but as we are not going to use these slots till the
> standby node is promoted, it seems okay to validate the plugins after
> promotion once users use the synced slots.

Personally it should be detected, but I want to hear opinions from others.
Below are my reasons:

1)
We can avoid a possibility that users miss the installation of plugins. Basically
we should detect before the issue will really occur.

2)
Rules around here might be inconsistent. Slots which will be synchronized can be
created either way:

a) manual creation via SQL function, or
b) automatic creation by slotsync worker.

In case of a), the decoding context is created when creation so that the plugin
must be installed. Case b), however, we allow not to install beforehand. I felt
it might be confused for users. Thought?

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED