Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> (a) a bug *tracking* system is not the same as a bug *reporting*
> system.  A tracking system will be useless if it gets cluttered
> with non-bug reports, duplicate entries, etc.  There must be a human
> filter controlling what gets entered into the system.

Letting any user submit bug reports directly into any such system is
certainly not going to work, we'd have "query does not use index" 5 times
a day. I consider the current *reporting* procedure pretty good; web forms
are overrated in my mind.

What I had in mind was more a databased incarnation of the TODO list. I
mean, who are we kidding, we are writing a database and maintain the list
of problems in flat text. The TODO list has already moved to the
TODO.detail extension, but we could take it a bit further.

I think currently too many issues get lost, or discussed over and over
again. Many developers maintain their own little lists. The TODO list
often cannot be deciphered by end users and hence does not get read.