Re: small_cleanups around login event triggers

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: small_cleanups around login event triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 14 Mar 2024, at 14:21, Robert Treat <rob@xzilla.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 8:21 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

>> -     canceling connection in <application>psql</application> wouldn't cancel
>> +     canceling a connection in <application>psql</application> will not cancel
>> Nitpickery (perhaps motivated by english not being my first language), but
>> since psql only deals with one connection I would expect this to read "the
>> connection".
>>

> My interpretation of this is that "a connection" is more correct
> because it could be your connection or someone else's connection (ie,
> you are canceling one of many possible connections). Definitely
> nitpickery either way.

Fair point.

>> - * Returns true iff the lock was acquired.
>> + * Returns true if the lock was acquired.
>> Using "iff" here is being consistent with the rest of the file (and technically
>> correct):

> Ah, yeah, I was pretty focused on the event trigger stuff and didn't
> notice it being used elsewhere; thought it was a typo, but I guess
> it's meant as shorthand for "if and only if", I wonder how many people
> are familiar with that.

I would like to think it's fairly widely understood among programmers, but I
might be dating myself in saying so.

I went ahead and applied this with the fixes mentioned here with one more tiny
change to the last hunk of the patch to make it say "login event trigger"
rather than just "login trigger". Thanks for the submission!

--
Daniel Gustafsson