Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 9:49 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> At Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:38:54 +0900, torikoshia <torikoshia@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for applying!
> >
> > > + errmsg_plural("%zd row were skipped due to data type
> > > incompatibility",
> >
> > Sorry, I just noticed it, but 'were' should be 'was' here?

> > > Please do!
> >
> > I've started it here:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/d12fd8c99adcae2744212cb23feff6ed@oss.nttdata.com
>
> Switching topics, this commit (9e2d870119) adds the following help message:
>

> >                       "COPY { %s [ ( %s [, ...] ) ] | ( %s ) }\n"
> >                       "    TO { '%s' | PROGRAM '%s' | STDOUT }\n"
> >                       "    SAVE_ERROR_TO '%s'\n"
> >                       _("location"),
>
> On the other hand, SAVE_ERROR_TO takes 'error' or 'none', which
> indicate "immediately error out" and 'just ignore the failure'
> respectively, but these options hardly seem to denote a 'location',
> and appear more like an 'action'. I somewhat suspect that this
> parameter name intially conceived with the assupmtion that it would
> take file names or similar parameters. I'm not sure if others will
> agree, but I think the parameter name might not be the best
> choice. For instance, considering the addition of the third value
> 'log', something like on_error_action (error, ignore, log) would be
> more intuitively understandable. What do you think?

Probably, but I'm not sure about that.  The name SAVE_ERROR_TO assumes
the next word will be location, not action.  With some stretch we can
assume 'error' to be location.  I think it would be even more stretchy
to think that SAVE_ERROR_TO is followed by action.  Probably, we can
replace SAVE_ERROR_TO with another name which could be naturally
followed by action, but I don't have something appropriate in mind.
However, I'm not native english speaker and certainly could miss
something.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov