Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 9:49 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On the other hand, SAVE_ERROR_TO takes 'error' or 'none', which
>> indicate "immediately error out" and 'just ignore the failure'
>> respectively, but these options hardly seem to denote a 'location',
>> and appear more like an 'action'. I somewhat suspect that this
>> parameter name intially conceived with the assupmtion that it would
>> take file names or similar parameters. I'm not sure if others will
>> agree, but I think the parameter name might not be the best
>> choice. For instance, considering the addition of the third value
>> 'log', something like on_error_action (error, ignore, log) would be
>> more intuitively understandable. What do you think?

> Probably, but I'm not sure about that.  The name SAVE_ERROR_TO assumes
> the next word will be location, not action.  With some stretch we can
> assume 'error' to be location.  I think it would be even more stretchy
> to think that SAVE_ERROR_TO is followed by action.

The other problem with this terminology is that with 'none', what it
is doing is the exact opposite of "saving" the errors.  I agree we
need a better name.

Kyotaro-san's suggestion isn't bad, though I might shorten it to
error_action {error|ignore|log} (or perhaps "stop" instead of "error")?
You will need a separate parameter anyway to specify the destination
of "log", unless "none" became an illegal table name when I wasn't
looking.  I don't buy that one parameter that has some special values
while other values could be names will be a good design.  Moreover,
what if we want to support (say) log-to-file along with log-to-table?
Trying to distinguish a file name from a table name without any other
context seems impossible.