Re: May be BUG. Periodic burst growth of the checkpoint_req counter on replica.

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: May be BUG. Periodic burst growth of the checkpoint_req counter on replica.
Дата
Re: May be BUG. Periodic burst growth of the checkpoint_req counter on replica.  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, Anton!

On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 3:50 AM Anton A. Melnikov <a.melnikov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Thanks for remarks!

On 28.11.2023 21:34, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> After examining the second patch
> ("v2-0001-Add-restartpoint-stats.patch"), it appears that adding
> additional statistics as outlined in the patch is the most suitable
> approach to address the concerns raised. This solution provides more
> visibility into the system's behavior without altering its core
> mechanics.

Agreed. I left only this variant of the patch and rework it due to commit 96f05261.
So the new counters is in the pg_stat_checkpointer view now.
Please see the v3-0001-add-restartpoints-stats.patch attached.

> However, it's essential that this additional functionality
> is accompanied by comprehensive documentation to ensure clear
> understanding and ease of use by the PostgreSQL community.
>
> Please consider expanding the documentation to include detailed
> explanations of the new statistics and their implications in various
> scenarios.

In the separate v3-0002-doc-for-restartpoints-stats.patch i added the definitions
of the new counters into the "28.2.15. pg_stat_checkpointer" section
and explanation of them with examples into the "30.5.WAL Configuration" one.

Would be glad for any comments and and concerns.

I made some grammar corrections to the docs and have written the commit message.

I think this patch now looks good.  I'm going to push this if there are no objections.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Вложения