Re: Fix parallel vacuum buffer usage reporting

От Anthonin Bonnefoy
Тема Re: Fix parallel vacuum buffer usage reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 4:01 PM Alena Rybakina <lena.ribackina@yandex.ru> wrote:
I tested the main postgres branch with and without your fix using a script that was written by me. It consists of five scenarios and I made a comparison in the logs between the original version of the master branch and the master branch with your patch:
 Hi! Thanks for the tests.

I have attached a test file (vacuum_check_logs.sql)
Looking at the script, you won't trigger the problem. The reporting issue will only happen if there's a parallel index vacuum and it will only happen if there's at least 2 indexes [0]. You will need to create an additional index.

The same script was run, but using vacuum verbose analyze, and I saw the difference again in the fifth step:
with your patch: buffer usage: 32312 hits, 607 misses, 1566 dirtied
master: buffer usage: 32346 hits, 573 misses, 1360 dirtied
Isn't there a chance for the checkpointer to run during this time? That could make the conditions between the two runs slightly different and explain the change in buffer report.