Re: Fix parallel vacuum buffer usage reporting

От Alena Rybakina
Тема Re: Fix parallel vacuum buffer usage reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hi!

The same script was run, but using vacuum verbose analyze, and I saw the difference again in the fifth step:
with your patch: buffer usage: 32312 hits, 607 misses, 1566 dirtied
master: buffer usage: 32346 hits, 573 misses, 1360 dirtied
Isn't there a chance for the checkpointer to run during this time? That could make the conditions between the two runs slightly different and explain the change in buffer report.

Thank you for the link I accounted it in my next experiments.

I repeated the test without processing checkpoints with a single index, and the number of pages in the buffer used almost matched:

master branch: buffer usage: 32315 hits, 606 misses, 4486 dirtied

with applied patch v4 version: buffer usage: 32315 hits, 606 misses, 4489 dirtied

I think you are right - the problem was interfering with the checkpoint process, by the way I checked the first version patch. To cut a long story short, everything is fine now with one index.

Just in case, I'll explain: I considered this case because your patch could have impact influenced it too.