Re: trying again to get incremental backup

От Jakub Wartak
Тема Re: trying again to get incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 7:11 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

[..v13 patchset]

The results with v13 patchset are following:

* - requires checkpoint on primary when doing incremental on standby
when it's too idle, this was explained by Robert in [1], something AKA
too-fast-incremental backup due to testing-scenario:

test_across_wallevelminimal.sh - GOOD
test_many_incrementals_dbcreate.sh - GOOD
test_many_incrementals.sh - GOOD
test_multixact.sh - GOOD
test_reindex_and_vacuum_full.sh - GOOD
test_standby_incr_just_backup.sh - GOOD*
test_truncaterollback.sh - GOOD
test_unlogged_table.sh - GOOD
test_full_pri__incr_stby__restore_on_pri.sh - GOOD
test_full_pri__incr_stby__restore_on_stby.sh - GOOD
test_full_stby__incr_stby__restore_on_pri.sh - GOOD*
test_full_stby__incr_stby__restore_on_stby.sh - GOOD*
test_incr_on_standby_after_promote.sh - GOOD*
test_incr_after_timelineincrease.sh (pg_ctl stop, pg_resetwal -l
00000002000000000000000E ..., pg_ctl start, pg_basebackup
--incremental) - GOOD, I've got:
    pg_basebackup: error: could not initiate base backup: ERROR:
timeline 1 found in manifest, but not in this server's history
    Comment: I was wondering if it wouldn't make some sense to teach
pg_resetwal to actually delete all WAL summaries after any any
WAL/controlfile alteration?

test_stuck_walsummary.sh (pkill -STOP walsumm) - GOOD:

> This version also improves (at least, IMHO) the way that we wait for
> WAL summarization to finish. Previously, you either caught up fully
> within 60 seconds or you died. I didn't like that, because it seemed
> like some people would get timeouts when the operation was slowly
> progressing and would eventually succeed. So what this version does
> is:

    WARNING:  still waiting for WAL summarization through 0/A0000D8
after 10 seconds
    DETAIL:  Summarization has reached 0/8000028 on disk and 0/80000F8
in memory.
[..]
    pg_basebackup: error: could not initiate base backup: ERROR:  WAL
summarization is not progressing
    DETAIL:  Summarization is needed through 0/A0000D8, but is stuck
at 0/8000028 on disk and 0/80000F8 in memory.
    Comment2: looks good to me!

test_pending_2pc.sh - getting GOOD on most recent runs, but several
times during early testing (probably due to my own mishaps), I've been
hit by Abort/TRAP. I'm still investigating and trying to reproduce
those ones. TRAP: failed Assert("summary_end_lsn >=
WalSummarizerCtl->pending_lsn"), File: "walsummarizer.c", Line: 940

Regards,
-J.

[1] -  https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoYuC27_ToGtTTNyHgpn_eJmdqrmhJ93bAbinkBtXsWHaA%40mail.gmail.com