Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 6:43 AM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 10:58 PM Robert Treat <rob@xzilla.net> wrote:
>> v5 patch attached which I think further improves clarity/brevity of
>> this section. I've left the patch name the same for simplicity, but
>> I'd agree that the commit would now be more along the lines of editing
>> / improvements / copyrighting of "Partition Maintenance" docs.
>

> Right. Minor suggestions.
>
> -     It is recommended to drop the now-redundant <literal>CHECK</literal>
> -     constraint after the <command>ATTACH PARTITION</command> is complete.  If
> -     the table being attached is itself a partitioned table, then each of its
> +     As illustrated above, it is recommended to avoid this scan by creating a
> +     <literal>CHECK</literal> constraint on the to be attached table that
>
> Instead of "to be attached table", "table to be attached" reads better. You may want to add "as a partition" after
that.

That sounds more awkward to me, but I've done some rewording to avoid both.

>       Similarly, if the partitioned table has a <literal>DEFAULT</literal>
>       partition, it is recommended to create a <literal>CHECK</literal>
>       constraint which excludes the to-be-attached partition's constraint.  If
> -     this is not done then the <literal>DEFAULT</literal> partition will be
> +     this is not done, the <literal>DEFAULT</literal> partition must be
>
> I am not sure whether replacing "will" by "must" is correct. Usually I have seen "will" being used in such sentences,
"must"seems appropriate given the necessity.

OK

Updated patch attached.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

Вложения

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed