Re: Will there ever be support for Row Level Security on Materialized Views?

От Ken Tanzer
Тема Re: Will there ever be support for Row Level Security on Materialized Views?
Дата
Re: Will there ever be support for Row Level Security on Materialized Views?  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi David, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

You might think there's some master project-wide list of things that
are to implement that we all work from, but there's not.

I suppose I might have thought that, but I didn't.  That's partly why I asked on this list.

New features normally appear for one of two reasons:

1) A developer gets inspired to make something happen; or
2) Someone pays a developer to make something happen.

OK.

So I guess in this case either 1 or 2 has not happened, or they have
but the correct people have either not seen your email or they just
simply don't want to answer.

Yes, that also partly why I resent.  Generally it seems most questions sent to this list get some kind of response.  So perhaps my original question was not seen by "the correct people."

Or perhaps they "simply don't want to answer." Well I wondered about that too, since the last person who asked about this didn't get a response either.  Is it a particularly stupid question?  Is there some history that makes it a touchy subject?  Or is it just the Bermuda Triangle of this mailing list? :)

If you're desperate for the feature, I'd recommend looking into the
possibility of going with 1 or 2.

I'm not really desperate, and unlikely to do either 1 or 2.  But it still would be helpful to have a sense of what the future _might_ look like in this area. This seems like a relatively common type of inquiry on this list.  Maybe there are reasons this will never get implemented.  (e.g., it's a Bad Idea, or it's so hard to implement that your head would explode if we explained it to you, or it would interfere with x, y or z).  Maybe there's no conceptual or technical obstacles, and it really does just come down to someone doing it.  Maybe something else entirely.

People on this list generally seem pretty generous in spirit and sharing of their knowledge, insights and opinions.  It seemed a pretty reasonable and typical question to ask.  I guess if there's no answer to be had, then so be it!

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software