Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification

От Charly
Тема Re: RFC: a new try for an official community approved certification
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
I would like to start by stating that I don't believe in certifications. I mean, they are good guides for people who want to start studying and enter the niche the certification is testing, but they don't measure knowledge. They measure how much content one is able to memorize, which is by no means, knowledge.

That said, I like the process @James described. For written tests, just give the candidates 1k questions book and randomly pick XX number of questions. If they get it right, they at least went to the book and have a good memory. If they fail, try again.

IMHO, if we really want to attempt to test knowledge, then we need to think of having simulated "challenges" to be solved. And it doesn't matter if the user has or not access to the internet, if they can ask or not for help. If they are able to solve, and explain the reasons they solved the problem, then they have shown they acquired the needed knowledge for that level of certificate.

Those are my 2¢