Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 2:09 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 18 Mar 2024, at 13:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > my proposal is something like this, taking a
> > bunch of text from Jelte's patch and some inspiration from Magnus's
> > earlier remarks:
>
> I still think any wording should clearly mention that settings in the file are
> still applied.  The proposed wording says to implicitly but to avoid confusion
> I think it should be explicit.

I haven't kept up with the thread, but in general I'd prefer it to
actually turn off parsing the file as well. I think just turning off
the ability to change it -- including the ability to *revert* changes
that were made to it before -- is going to be confusing.

But, if we have decided it shouldn't do that, then IMHO we should
consider naming it maybe enable_alter_system_command instead -- since
we're only disabling the alter system command, not the actual feature
in total.

> > Perhaps figuring out how to
> > document this is best left to a separate thread, and there's also the
> > question of whether a new section that talks about this also ought to
> > talk about anything else. But I feel like we're way overdue to do
> > something about this.
>
> Seconded, both that it needs to be addressed and that it should be done on a
> separate thread from this one.

+1.

--
 Magnus Hagander