Re: Track in pg_replication_slots the reason why slots conflict?

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Track in pg_replication_slots the reason why slots conflict?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 5:00 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 07:26:56AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2023-12-21 19:55:51 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> >> We can return int2 value from the function pg_get_replication_slots()
> >> and then use that to display a string in the view
> >> pg_replication_slots.
> >
> > I strongly dislike that pattern. It just leads to complicated views - and
> > doesn't provide a single benefit that I am aware of. It's much bettter to
> > simply populate the text version in pg_get_replication_slots().
>
> I agree that this is a better integration in the view, and that's what
> I would do FWIW.
>
> Amit, how much of a problem would it be to do a text->enum mapping
> when synchronizing the slots from a primary to a standby?

There is no problem as such in that. We were trying to see if there is
a more convenient way but let's move by having cause as text from both
the function and view as that seems to be a preferred way.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.