Re: Add annotation syntax to pg_hba.conf entries

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Add annotation syntax to pg_hba.conf entries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 4:06 PM Jim Jones <jim.jones@uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> Any thoughts?

You're probably not going to like this answer very much, but this
doesn't seem particularly worthwhile to me. If somebody needs to
document why they did something in pg_hba.conf, they can already put a
comment in the file to explain that. Or they can track the reasons for
what's in the file using some completely external system, like a
Google document or a git repository or whatever. The argument for this
feature is not that this information needs to exist, but that it needs
to be queryable from within PostgreSQL. And I guess I just wonder if
that is something that users in general want. It's not a terrible idea
or anything, but it would be sad if we added such a feature and you
were the only one who ever used it... and if a bunch of people now
show up and say "actually, this would be great, I would totally like
to have that," well, then, forget I said anything.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com