Re: Is the "x ms" info reliable?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Is the "x ms" info reliable?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Richard D Levine <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com> wrote:

Is there an echo in here?

To be fair, Dave's point is that times from a client's perspective will necessarily be longer than those from inside the server.  That doesn't account for an order of magnitude's difference though, especially when the connection is local.  I too think that pgAdmin is counting the time to traverse the result set, but that's purely speculation.

It doesn't traverse the resultset - it demand-renders the grid control, requesting the data from libpq only when it needs it.

Inactive hide details for Guillaume Lelarge ---01/19/2015 11:36:44 AM---2015-01-19 16:26 GMT+01:00 Richard D Levine <Richard_D_Guillaume Lelarge ---01/19/2015 11:36:44 AM---2015-01-19 16:26 GMT+01:00 Richard D Levine <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com>: > When I have pgAdmin,

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
To: Richard D Levine <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>, hushthatbush@hushmail.com, "pgadmin-support@postgresql.org" <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>, pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org
Date: 01/19/2015 11:36 AM

Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Is the "x ms" info reliable?
Sent by: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org

    When I have pgAdmin, my app, and PG all running on the same machine, pgAdmin reported query times are one or two orders of magnitude slower than times for the same query reported by turning on statement logging.

Yeah, I agree with the OP. I'm pretty sure the time the query tool reports includes the display time. I didn't check in the code, but that was always my view of the time. Doesn't mean it is useless, but pretty much like it.

    Inactive hide details for Dave Page ---01/19/2015 03:58:07 AM---On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM,  <hushthatbush@hushmail.com> wDave Page ---01/19/2015 03:58:07 AM---On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM,  <hushthatbush@hushmail.com> wrote: > In the query window's bottom-