Re: Where's the doc for "array()" — as in "select array(values (17), (42))"

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com wrote:

bryn@yugabyte.com wrote:

I noticed that "array()" is used in the query that implements the "\du" psql meta-command. It has some similarity with "array_agg()" thus:

create temporary view x(v) as (values (17), (42));
select array_agg(v) from x;
select array(select v from x);

Anyway, I can't find where "array()" is documented. Google does find me a hit on stackexchange-dot-com. But it doesn't x-ref to the PG doc.

www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-expressions.html#SQL-SYNTAX-ARRAY-CONSTRUCTORS

4.2.12. Array Constructors

It is also possible to construct an array from the results of a subquery. In this form, the array constructor is written with the key word ARRAY followed by a parenthesized (not bracketed) subquery. For example:

SELECT ARRAY(SELECT oid FROM pg_proc WHERE proname LIKE 'bytea%');

Thanks. I can't, even now, formulate a search that finds this—unless I know that it's a kind of array constructor. (I'll concede, with the benefit of hindsight, that I should have thought of that.) I hope that I'll be able to learn to navigate the PG docs better over time.

Why is the "array()" constructor not found in "pg_proc"? After all, section 4.2.12 refers to "array_agg()" as a constructor. And that *is* found in "pg_proc".

Сообщение: Re: Where's the doc for "array()" — as in "select array(values (17), (42))"
Сообщение: Re: Where's the doc for "array()" — as in "select array(values (17), (42))"