Re: ci: Build standalone INSTALL file

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ci: Build standalone INSTALL file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2023-12-21 10:22:49 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We could make it version-specific,
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/installation.html
>> and task src/tools/version_stamp.pl with updating it.  But that's
>> problematic for not-yet-released branches (there's no 17 today
>> for example).

> Perhaps we could make the website redirect 17 to /devel/ until 17 is branched
> off?

Hmm, maybe, but then there's a moving part in version-stamping that's not
accessible to the average committer.  On the other hand, it wouldn't
be too awful if that redirect didn't get updated instantly after a
branch.  This is probably a point where we need advice from the web
team about how they manage documentation branches on the site.

>> Perhaps we can use /devel/ in the master branch
>> and try to remember to replace that with a version number as soon
>> as a release branch is forked off --- but does the docs website
>> get populated as soon as the branch is made?

> I think it runs a few times a day - breaking the link for a few hours wouldn't
> be optimal, but also not the end of the world. But redirecting $vnext -> to
> devel would probably be a more reliable approach.

Let's go with "/devel/ in master and a number in release branches"
for now, and tweak that if the web team wants to take on maintaining
a redirect.  I'll put together a concrete patch proposal in a little
bit.