Re: ci: Build standalone INSTALL file

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: ci: Build standalone INSTALL file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-12-21 10:22:49 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think the only real question is what URL to point at exactly.  We can't
> simply say
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/installation.html
>
> because that will be wrong for any version more than one major
> release back.

Right.

> We could make it version-specific,
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/installation.html
>
> and task src/tools/version_stamp.pl with updating it.  But that's
> problematic for not-yet-released branches (there's no 17 today
> for example).

Perhaps we could make the website redirect 17 to /devel/ until 17 is branched
off?

> Perhaps we can use /devel/ in the master branch
> and try to remember to replace that with a version number as soon
> as a release branch is forked off --- but does the docs website
> get populated as soon as the branch is made?

I think it runs a few times a day - breaking the link for a few hours wouldn't
be optimal, but also not the end of the world. But redirecting $vnext -> to
devel would probably be a more reliable approach.

Greetings,

Andres Freund