Re: Benchmark Data requested

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Benchmark Data requested
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Matthew wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Richard Huxton wrote:
>>> Why would you need to lock the table?
>>
>> Because you're not really writing the WAL, which means you can't let
>> anyone else get their data into any of the blocks you are writing
>> into. You'd basically want to write the disk blocks then "attach" them
>> in some way.
>
> So what's wrong with "reserving" the space using the WAL, then everyone
> else will know. After all, when you write the data to the WAL, you must
> have an idea of where it is meant to end up. My suggestion is that you
> go through all the motions of writing the data to the WAL, just without
> the data bit.

Well, now you're looking at page-level locking for the data blocks, or
at least something very similar. Not sure what you'd do with indexes
though - don't see a simple way of avoiding a large lock on a btree index.

If you reserved the space in advance that could work. But you don't know
how much to reserve until you've copied it in.

You could of course have a set of co-operating processes all
bulk-loading while maintaining a table-lock outside of the those. It
feels like things are getting complicated then though.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd