Re: PHP and COPY

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PHP and COPY
Дата
Список pgsql-php
 > To answer your question.  I have a order system on my local Postgres
(for multiple clients 50+), and need to have an offsite independent
database to drive orders for a website (for one client).

> None of the replication solutions I have seen (at a resonable price)
> allow me to limit the data being replicated by a specific field (which
> I must do from a liability standpoint), so I'm rolling my own
> replication using php as the scripting language.  I've got the data
> being transferred using inserts just fine, but I would suspect a
> 50-300% improvement in transfer speed if I could resort to COPY
> instead (I'm inserting records in transactions of 500 rows each for
> testing).  One of the tables that I need to replicate is a

You would definatley see an improvement from using COPY but you could
have other problems. COPY does not happen within a transaction block it
just kind of shoves everything in there. You are going to be better
served in
the long run doing inserts.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

> Multi-Gig table (which is about the same size as all the others
> combined).
>
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  Why in the world would you want to do this? It seems that there
>> should be a better way.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua Drake
>>
>> DeJuan Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to execute a COPY from PHP?
>>> I keep getting parse errors on all the data.
>>>
>>> PHP 4.3.2
>>> PostgreSQL 7.3.4
>>>
>>> example:
>>>
>>> CREATE table tmp(data text);