Re: problem installing postgres in debian8 from debian repository

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: problem installing postgres in debian8 from debian repository
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Armando Perryman Morales <perryman@softel.cu> writes:
> could not determine encoding for locale "en_US.UTF8": codeset is
> "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
> initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale "en_US.UTF8"

I believe that "ANSI_X3.4-1968" just refers to the original ASCII
standard, so this result means your system's locale data is broken.
A supposedly-UTF8 locale should surely report some spelling of "UTF8"
as its codeset.  In any case, "ANSI_X3.4-1968" is a useless response,
as there's almost no codeset in use today that's not a superset of that;
what we need to know in practice is *which* superset.

Check your locale-related packages.  I don't know exactly which those
would be on Debian.