Re: documentation structure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: documentation structure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Well, I suppose I thought it was a good idea because (1) we don't seem
> to have any existing precedent for file-per-sect1 rather than
> file-per-chapter and (2) all of the per-AM files combined are less
> than 20% of the size of func.sgml.

We have done (1) in places, eg. json.sgml, array.sgml,
rangetypes.sgml, rowtypes.sgml, and the bulk of extend.sgml is split
out into xaggr, xfunc, xindex, xoper, xtypes.  I'd be the first to
concede it's a bit haphazard, but it's not like there's no precedent.

As for (2), func.sgml likely should have been split years ago.

> But, OK, if you want to establish a new paradigm here, sure. I see two
> ways to do it. We can either put the <chapter> tag directly in
> postgres.sgml, or I can still create a new indextypes.sgml and put
> &btree; etc. inside of it. Which way do you prefer?

I'd follow the extend.sgml precedent: have a file corresponding to the
chapter and containing any top-level text we need, then that includes
a file per sect1.