Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:28 AM 8/21/00 -0700, Adam Haberlach wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 07:35:10AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:

>> Another implication which missed me first time 'round is that Great Bridge
>> might be planning to have its own bug reporting system, separate from
>> that used by the development community at large?
>
>    Cool your conspiracy theories.

I'm making an observation, that's all.  Cool your own wild theories, please.

>> I hope not.  There should be one central place for bug reporting.  If
>> Great Bridge wants to run it, fine, also if Great Bridge wants to be able
>> to incorporate some sort of prioritization system for those with paid
>> support (or some other discriminatory system) it is still probably better
>> to figure out a way to accomodate it rather than have two separate
>> bug reporting systems.
>
>    The fact is that postgres already has a very good system for keeping
>track of issues from report to fix to verification.

<shrug> I didn't raise the subject, it was a core developer who started
this thread with a semi-rant about it being about time that the project
had decent bug tracking software.

So apparently not everyone in the community agrees with your analysis.  If
there were consensus that the current system's great then Great Bridge
wouldn't
be looking at implementing something different, and Peter wouldn't be ranting
that something better is needed.

> So far the main defect
>is the obvious one of "People don't know the history unless they troll the
>message archives or lurk".  Everyone here is leery of "fixing" a working
>system.

There seems to be some disagreement about how well it works.  Again, I didn't
raise the issue, I simply responded with a possible solution when one of the
core developers raised it.  And I know that Great Bridge wants to do something
web-based - this isn't some fantasy I dreamed up when in a psychotic state.

I'm only saying that if a different approach is to be taken, why not build
on something that exists, is under active development, and is being driven
by folks who are VERY open to working with the project to make the tool
fit the project rather than vice-versa?

>Someone can grab an off-the-shelf system like Bugzilla or this ArsTechnica

arsDigita

>thing and then try to make the project conform to it.

Read above.  Ben's already posted that he's eager for design input.  aD has
already enhanced the thing based on their own needs, and there's no reason
why Great Bridge and the Postgres crew can't do the same.

>I don't
>know anything about this other proposed system but it will probably require
>a lot of time to even get people to use it regularly, much less use it well.

Strange, OpenACS folk use it regularly and all we've done is put a "report
a bug" link on the home page.

I haven't heard so many arguments against change since the VT100 started
replacing the KSR 35!