Re: Re: PROPOSAL: make PostgreSQL sanitizers-friendly (and prevent information disclosure)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: PROPOSAL: make PostgreSQL sanitizers-friendly (and prevent information disclosure)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net> writes:
> On 03/21/2016 10:21 AM, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>> Well in this case here is a patch that fixes "use of uninitialized
>> value" reports by MemorySanitizer I managed to catch so far.

> I'm new here so someone more experienced would have to weigh in,
> but I would wonder a couple of things:

> a. whether a braced struct assignment is supported in every
>    C compiler that PostgreSQL still intends to support

We rely on struct assignment to work already; although I'm not sure
we should expect it to be efficient, so we might not want to use it
in performance-critical places.

> b. whether such a struct assignment is guaranteed to initialize
>    padding spaces as well as declared fields (in all supported
>    C versions/compilers).

I think this is a valid concern; my recollection is that the C standard
defines struct assignment as "assign each member".

> It's possible that memset() would be more convincing.

+1