Re: binary protocol was Performance problem with timestamps in result sets

От Thomas Dudziak
Тема Re: binary protocol was Performance problem with timestamps in result sets
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 3/9/06, mikael-aronsson <mikael-aronsson@telia.com> wrote:
> How about the actual transport cost difference between text and binary
> protocols ? it may not be any big difference though, and many times text
> representation can be smaller then a binary protocol.

Really ? I would have thought its vice versa. E.g. a float is usualy 4
(or 8) bytes in binary, but can be a lot longer in text depending on
the format.

> I do not think it would give much though to use the binary protocol as Java
> is not very good when it comes to converting binary data back to native
> values unless it is serialized or you start to mess around with nio buffers,
> so in the end I do not think there would be much difference in performance.

Personally I would be interested in whether a binary protocol impl in
the JDBC driver would bring benefits or not for the other, simpler
types (int, string, ...). If they don't suffer, then it might actually
be worthwhile to investigate a binary impl. That is being said of
course from a pure user perspective - I have no insight whatsoever in
the core workings of the JDBC driver.

cheers,
Tom