Re: binary protocol was Performance problem with timestamps in result sets

От mikael-aronsson
Тема Re: binary protocol was Performance problem with timestamps in result sets
Дата
Re: binary protocol was Performance problem with timestamps
Список pgsql-jdbc
How about the actual transport cost difference between text and binary
protocols ? it may not be any big difference though, and many times text
representation can be smaller then a binary protocol.

I have no idea about endianness, but as the clients works fine between
different platforms I would assume that the endian format in the protocol is
fixed (but you should not assume things so maybe I am hanging myself again
here).

I do not think it would give much though to use the binary protocol as Java
is not very good when it comes to converting binary data back to native
values unless it is serialized or you start to mess around with nio buffers,
so in the end I do not think there would be much difference in performance.

Mikael