Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Sutou Kouhei
Тема Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations  (Sutou Kouhei <kou@clear-code.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

In <ZelfYatRdVZN3FbE@paquier.xyz>
  "Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations" on Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:32:01 +0900,
  Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> While on it, here are some profiles based on HEAD and v17 with the
> previous tests (COPY TO /dev/null, COPY FROM data sent to the void).

> So, in short, and that's not really a surprise, there is no effect
> once we use the dispatching with the routines only when a format would
> want to plug-in with the APIs, but a custom format would still have a
> penalty of a few percents for both if bottlenecked on CPU.

Thanks for sharing these profiles!
I agree with you.

This shows that the v17 approach doesn't affect the current
text/csv/binary implementations. (The v17 approach just adds
2 new structs, Copy{From,To}Rountine, without changing the
current text/csv/binary implementations.)

Can we push the v17 patch and proceed following
implementations? Could someone (especially a PostgreSQL
committer) take a look at this for double-check?

Thanks,
--
kou