Re: broken master regress tests

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: broken master regress tests
Дата
Re: broken master regress tests  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 05:54:34PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-10-10 17:08:25 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > After this, it seems "make check" no longer picks up the locale from
> > the system environment by default.
>
> Yea. I wonder if the better fix would have been to copy setenv("LC_MESSAGES", "C", 1);
> to the initdb template creation. That afaict also fixes the issue, with a
> smaller blast radius?

+1, that would restore the testing semantics known from v16-.  I think the
intent of the template was to optimize without changing semantics, and the
above proposal aligns with that.  Currently, for v17 alone, one needs
installcheck or build file hacks to reproduce a locale-specific test failure.

An alternative would be to declare that the tests are supported in one
encoding+locale only, then stop testing others in the buildfarm.  Even if we
did that, I'm fairly sure we'd standardize on UTF8, not SQL_ASCII, as the one
testable encoding.