Re: BUG #8139: initdb: Misleading error message when current user not in /etc/passwd

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: BUG #8139: initdb: Misleading error message when current user not in /etc/passwd
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jan  7, 2014 at 06:40:14PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Well, neither is sprompt.c, but that has a lot of port-specific code in
> > > it, so I used that as a guide.
> >
> > src/common was created much later than sprompt.c was written.  I would
> > have thought that the consideration would have been that sprompt.c
> > should eventually be moved to src/common; not that it would serve as a
> > precedent for anything.
>
> Are we not moving items over to common where appropriate?

I don't think we're moving code from src/port to src/common just for the
heck of it; but ISTM if we're adding new code which belongs to
src/common, and there's a natural file for it in src/port which should
arguably also be in src/common, then it makes sense to put both the new
code and the old file together in src/common.

Note that nothing in src/port should depend on stuff in src/common.  As
I see it, src/port is very bare-bones stuff which src/common builds on
top of.  It might also make sense, in some cases, to consider low-level
routines in src/port that are used by higher level routines in
src/common.

>  Are we worried about bring external applications?

Please rephrase.  What are we worried about?

Сообщение: Re: BUG #8139: initdb: Misleading error message when current user not in /etc/passwd
Сообщение: Re: BUG #8139: initdb: Misleading error message when current user not in /etc/passwd