Re: PANIC serves too many masters

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PANIC serves too many masters
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> Is the error level the right way to express what we want to happen? It
> seems like what we really want is to decide on the behavior, i.e.
> restart or not, and generate core or not. That could be done a
> different way, like:

>   ereport(PANIC,
>           (errmsg("could not locate a valid checkpoint record"),
>            errabort(false),errrestart(false)));

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.  It feels to me that
PANIC_EXIT is an error level (even more severe than PANIC).
But maybe "no core dump please" should be conveyed separately,
since it's just a minor adjustment that doesn't fundamentally
change what happens.  It's plausible that you'd want a core,
or not want one, for different cases that all seem to require
PANIC_EXIT.

(Need a better name than PANIC_EXIT.  OMIGOD?)