Re: Parsing config files in a directory

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 18:57 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> That's basically what it does now, except
> >> it doesn't add a parameter in postgresql.conf. If you lkeave the
> >> pg_config directory empty, it will just parse the postgresql.conf file
> >> just like before, and that's it. only if you put something in the
> >> pg_config directory will it load it, and only *after* it has loaded
> >> the main configuration file.
> >
> > OK, I didn't pick up on that. So now I like it, apart from one thing: I
> > would prefer to have explicit control over that (via the directive I
> > mentioned or otherwise), rather than just doing that implicitly. Doing
> > things implicitly will make it even harder for most people to trace
> > which parameters will get picked up and stupid mistakes will be made on
> > production servers.
>
> So you're suggesting an includedir parameter, right? And one such
> parameter at the bottom of the default postgresql.conf file, with the
> ability to remove it and/or add others, correct?

Yes, please.

> 2009/10/24 Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>:
> > On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 18:34 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >
> >> Did you look at the patch?
> >
> > I did, yes. But no docs with it. It would be good to see the proposal,
> > not just the patch (or a reference to the written proposal from
> > earlier).
>
> We discussed it at the developer meeting - I believe you were there by phone.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009_Developer_Meeting
>
> See the section on auto tuning, including an action list.

I wasn't there for that part of the meeting, and the notes from the
meeting aren't a design proposal, just a note to do a feature. The notes
do put an action on someone to "work out details on hackers". Not doing
design before coding is a general bugbear of mine - no need to pick on
you in particular with this and I'm sorry I brought that up.