Обсуждение: [MASSMAIL]nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

[MASSMAIL]nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Anton Voloshin
Дата:
Hello,

In REL_13_STABLE and above, generated HTML have a broken HTML: nested <a
href="..."> tags for all links to glossary. Somehow, this results in
duplicated <a> tags on the https://www.postgresql.org/docs/

Found by tab-navigating https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/rowtypes.html
where we see (spacing added to avoid line wraps):
... create a <a class="glossterm"
href="glossary.html#GLOSSARY-DOMAIN"</a><a class="glossterm"
href="glossary.html#GLOSSARY-DOMAIN"
title="Domain">domain</a> over the composite type ...

So, empty <a>, and then the real <a>. This resulted in stopping twice on
the "domain" link (right before, and then on the
"domain" word itself) while tab-navigating.

If I am to "make html" docs from the source (in REL_13_STABLE..master),
I see nested <a>'s instead:

create a <a class="glossterm" href="glossary.html#GLOSSARY-DOMAIN"><em
class="glossterm"><a class="glossterm"
over the composite type

I guess docs are processed additionally before getting to
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/ (html sanitizer/beautifier?), in
passing fixing nested <a>'s, but producing duplicated <a>'s instead.

It seems to affect all glossary links:
after "make html",
results in 254 to 329 matches (in versions 13 to master).

REL_12_STABLE is not affected: glossary was only introduced in 13.

It seems to have been introduced in

commit 347d2b07fcc250680f75b5f89ba49d4805782c6b
Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
Date:   Fri Apr 3 19:23:20 2020

     Add a glossary to the documentation

Not sure about how to fix this (don't really know docbook).

--
Anton Voloshin
Postgres Professional, The Russian Postgres Company

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
On 2024-04-12 18:29 +0200, Anton Voloshin wrote:
> In REL_13_STABLE and above, generated HTML have a broken HTML: nested <a
> href="..."> tags for all links to glossary. Somehow, this results in
> duplicated <a> tags on the https://www.postgresql.org/docs/
>
> Found by tab-navigating https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/rowtypes.html
> where we see (spacing added to avoid line wraps):
> ... create a <a class="glossterm"
> href="glossary.html#GLOSSARY-DOMAIN"</a><a class="glossterm"
> href="glossary.html#GLOSSARY-DOMAIN"
> title="Domain">domain</a> over the composite type ...
>
> So, empty <a>, and then the real <a>. This resulted in stopping twice on the
> "domain" link (right before, and then on the
> "domain" word itself) while tab-navigating.

There's this bug[1] in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets.  Looks like the
fix[2] landed in 1.79.2 (latest version on Arch, matching the latest
snapshot on GitHub from 2020-06-03) because I can see the change in
/usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.79.2-nons/html/inline.xsl and
/usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.79.2-nons/xhtml/inline.xsl.
But I still get those nested <a> with a simple test:

    <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
              "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd">
    <book>
     <title>Test</title>
     <glosslist>
      <glossentry id="glossary-a">
       <glossterm>A</glossterm>
       <glossdef>
        <para>
         <glossterm linkend="glossary-b">B</glossterm>
        </para>
       </glossdef>
      </glossentry>
      <glossentry id="glossary-b">
       <glossterm>B</glossterm>
       <glossdef>
        <para>
         Lorem ipsum…
        </para>
       </glossdef>
      </glossentry>
     </glosslist>
    </book>

Generating the XHTML with

    xsltproc --nonet /usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.79.2-nons/xhtml/docbook.xsl test.sgml | grep

gives me

    <a class="glossterm" href="#glossary-b"><em class="glossterm"><a class="glossterm" href="#glossary-b"

> Not sure about how to fix this (don't really know docbook).

My XSLT skills are quite rusty, but maybe it's possible to omit the
outer <a class="glossterm"> and just emit <em class="glossterm"> and its
child <a> in our stylesheets.

[1] https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/issues/24
[2] https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/commit/c242ce2b8c1a5ebfdb2e719f788367bb1ddee8ea

--
Erik

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Apr-12, Erik Wienhold wrote:

> There's this bug[1] in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets.  Looks like the
> fix[2] landed in 1.79.2 (latest version on Arch,

Maybe one of these days we should get going with the migration to
Docbook 5.x that Jürgen Purtz proposed.

https://postgr.es/m/21ed3fd9-9020-4b53-b04f-a08a831b6085@purtz.de

In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest a XSLT patch to carry in our
local definition, we could try that.

"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've
been told never to return" (www.actsofgord.com)

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Jürgen Purtz

There's this bug[1] in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets.  Looks like the
fix[2] landed in 1.79.2 (latest version on Arch,
Maybe one of these days we should get going with the migration to
Docbook 5.x that Jürgen Purtz proposed.

https://postgr.es/m/21ed3fd9-9020-4b53-b04f-a08a831b6085@purtz.de

In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest a XSLT patch to carry in our
local definition, we could try that.

Great recommendation. I may have time in the second half of June to pursue the migration further. There is  a performance problem, which possibly results from our XSLT script that optimizes the transformation-speed and works well in 4.x.

Jürgen Purtz

@Anton: AFAIK the script was developed by your (former?) college
Alexander Lakhin.

[...]

... or do we have a problem with the fact that our xml files are not well-formed? Some of them contain more than one root-element:

xmllint --noout *.sgml ref/*.sgml 2> >(grep Extra)

J. Purtz

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
On 2024-04-25 15:40 +0200, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> On 25.04.24 13:24, Jürgen Purtz wrote:

> > > Maybe one of these days we should get going with the migration to
> > > Docbook 5.x that Jürgen Purtz proposed.
> > >
> > > https://postgr.es/m/21ed3fd9-9020-4b53-b04f-a08a831b6085@purtz.de
> > >
> > > In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest a XSLT patch to carry in our
> > > local definition, we could try that.
> > >
> > Great recommendation. I may have time in the second half of June to
> > pursue the migration further. There is  a performance problem, which
> > possibly results from our XSLT script that optimizes the
> > transformation-speed and works well in 4.x.
> >
> ... or do we have a problem with the fact that our xml files are not
> well-formed? Some of them contain more than one root-element:
>
> xmllint --noout *.sgml ref/*.sgml 2> >(grep Extra)

No, those files are not processed as standalone documents but are
transcluded into postgres-full.xml from which postgres.html is then
generated.  And postgres-full.xml is well-formed according to xmllint.

--
Erik

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Apr-25, Jürgen Purtz wrote:

> Great recommendation. I may have time in the second half of June to
> pursue the migration further. There is  a performance problem, which
> possibly results from our XSLT script that optimizes the
> transformation-speed and works well in 4.x.

Maybe a way to study this is to time a run with those speedups removed
and see if the timing with DocBook 5.2 matches.  If it does, that's a
sign that forward-porting the speedup tweaks may be worthwhile.

"On the other flipper, one wrong move and we're Fatal Exceptions"
(T.U.X.: Term Unit X  - http://www.thelinuxreview.com/TUX/)

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Hello,

25.04.2024 12:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-Apr-12, Erik Wienhold wrote:
>
>> There's this bug[1] in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets.  Looks like the
>> fix[2] landed in 1.79.2 (latest version on Arch,
> Maybe one of these days we should get going with the migration to
> Docbook 5.x that Jürgen Purtz proposed.
>
> https://postgr.es/m/21ed3fd9-9020-4b53-b04f-a08a831b6085@purtz.de
>
> In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest a XSLT patch to carry in our
> local definition, we could try that.

Please try the attached patch, which adds <xsl:template match="glossterm"
name="glossterm">, borrowed from /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/
docbook-xsl/xhtml/inline.xsl (I have docbook-xsl 1.79.2 installed), to our
local stylesheet-html-common.xsl.

I applied the modification from [1] (in two places) and it looks like the
nested <a> issue is gone.

[1] https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/pull/72/commits/62144252364492aecd71a3c8d5e6e1624af84785

Best regards,
Alexander
Вложения

Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
On 2024-04-25 22:00 +0200, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
> 25.04.2024 12:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2024-Apr-12, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> >
> > > There's this bug[1] in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets.  Looks like the
> > > fix[2] landed in 1.79.2 (latest version on Arch,
> > Maybe one of these days we should get going with the migration to
> > Docbook 5.x that Jürgen Purtz proposed.
> >
> > https://postgr.es/m/21ed3fd9-9020-4b53-b04f-a08a831b6085@purtz.de
> >
> > In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest a XSLT patch to carry in our
> > local definition, we could try that.
>
> Please try the attached patch, which adds <xsl:template match="glossterm"
> name="glossterm">, borrowed from /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/
> docbook-xsl/xhtml/inline.xsl (I have docbook-xsl 1.79.2 installed), to our
> local stylesheet-html-common.xsl.
>
> I applied the modification from [1] (in two places) and it looks like the
> nested <a> issue is gone.
>
> [1] https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/pull/72/commits/62144252364492aecd71a3c8d5e6e1624af84785

It works.

There are already a couple of upstream fixes copied into our
stylesheets, with links to bug reports.  So I also created one for
reference, with my upthread test case:

https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/issues/267

--
Erik