Обсуждение: pgsql: Speed up tail processing when hashing aligned C strings

pgsql: Speed up tail processing when hashing aligned C strings

От
John Naylor
Дата:
Speed up tail processing when hashing aligned C strings

After encountering the NUL terminator, the word-at-a-time loop exits
and we must hash the remaining bytes. Previously we calculated the
terminator's position and re-loaded the remaining bytes from the input
string. We already have all the data we need in a register, so let's
just mask off the bytes we need and hash them immediately. The mask can
be cheaply computed without knowing the terminator's position. We still
need that position for the length calculation, but the CPU can now
do that in parallel with other work, shortening the dependency chain.

Ants Aasma and John Naylor

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CANwKhkP7pCiW_5fAswLhs71-JKGEz1c1%2BPC0a_w1fwY4iGMqUA%40mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/07f0f6abfc7f6c55cede528d9689dedecefc734a

Modified Files
--------------
src/include/common/hashfn_unstable.h | 44 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------

Re: pgsql: Speed up tail processing when hashing aligned C strings

От
John Naylor
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 12:32 PM John Naylor <john.naylor@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Speed up tail processing when hashing aligned C strings

Skink reports valgrind error with

Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)

I'll revert this soon to analyze, but first I'd like to see if any
big-endian animals have any issue.