Обсуждение: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Add allow_alter_system GUC.

This is marked PGC_SIGHUP, so it can only be set in a configuration
file, not anywhere else; and it is also marked GUC_DISALLOW_IN_AUTO_FILE,
so it can't be set using ALTER SYSTEM. When set to false, the
ALTER SYSTEM command is disallowed.

There was considerable concern that this would be misinterpreted as
a security feature, which it is not, because a determined superuser
has various ways of bypassing it. Hence, a lot of work has gone into
wordsmithing the documentation, in the hopes of avoiding any such
confusion.

Jelte Fennemia-Nio and Gabriele Bartolini, with wording suggestions
for the documentation from many others.

Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CA%2BVUV5rEKt2%2BCdC_KUaPoihMu%2Bi5ChT4WVNTr4CD5-xXZUfuQw%40mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d3ae2a24f265a028f4b9e8df79ea7b075c6cf016

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                      | 51 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_system.sgml            |  8 +++++
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                  |  5 +++
src/backend/utils/misc/guc_tables.c           | 17 +++++++++
src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample |  1 +
src/include/utils/guc.h                       |  1 +

Re: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Oh no! Jelte, I'm so sorry ... I spelled your name wrong in this
commit message. :-(

Please accept my apologies.

...Robert

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

От
Jelte Fennema-Nio
Дата:
no worries, these things happen. I'm just glad it's committed and I
can now focus on different things than back and forth discussion over
documentation that all looks pretty much identical to me.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 at 13:47, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh no! Jelte, I'm so sorry ... I spelled your name wrong in this
> commit message. :-(
>
> Please accept my apologies.
>
> ...Robert
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 8:45 AM Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:
> >
> > Add allow_alter_system GUC.
> >
> > This is marked PGC_SIGHUP, so it can only be set in a configuration
> > file, not anywhere else; and it is also marked GUC_DISALLOW_IN_AUTO_FILE,
> > so it can't be set using ALTER SYSTEM. When set to false, the
> > ALTER SYSTEM command is disallowed.
> >
> > There was considerable concern that this would be misinterpreted as
> > a security feature, which it is not, because a determined superuser
> > has various ways of bypassing it. Hence, a lot of work has gone into
> > wordsmithing the documentation, in the hopes of avoiding any such
> > confusion.
> >
> > Jelte Fennemia-Nio and Gabriele Bartolini, with wording suggestions
> > for the documentation from many others.
> >
> > Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CA%2BVUV5rEKt2%2BCdC_KUaPoihMu%2Bi5ChT4WVNTr4CD5-xXZUfuQw%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> > Branch
> > ------
> > master
> >
> > Details
> > -------
> > https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d3ae2a24f265a028f4b9e8df79ea7b075c6cf016
> >
> > Modified Files
> > --------------
> > doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                      | 51 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
> > doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_system.sgml            |  8 +++++
> > src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                  |  5 +++
> > src/backend/utils/misc/guc_tables.c           | 17 +++++++++
> > src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample |  1 +
> > src/include/utils/guc.h                       |  1 +
> > 6 files changed, 82 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
> >

> --
> Robert Haas
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 9:03 AM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
> no worries, these things happen. I'm just glad it's committed and I
> can now focus on different things than back and forth discussion over
> documentation that all looks pretty much identical to me.

Yeah, imagine that!

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

Дата:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:47:18AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Oh no! Jelte, I'm so sorry ... I spelled your name wrong in this
> commit message. :-(
>
> Please accept my apologies.

I have made a record of this so I will make sure it is accurate in the
release notes.

Re: pgsql: Add allow_alter_system GUC.

Дата:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:47:18AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Oh no! Jelte, I'm so sorry ... I spelled your name wrong in this
> commit message. :-(
>
> Please accept my apologies.

I have corrected his name in the release notes for this item.