Обсуждение: BUG #18408: ERROR: could not load library

BUG #18408: ERROR: could not load library

От
PG Bug reporting form
Дата:

Bug reference:      18408
Logged by:          Ben Watson
Email address:      ben.watson@maroonanalytics.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.2
Operating system:   Win11

I have been trying to get PostgreSQL 16.2, compiled by Visual C++ build
1937, 64-bit running on a win11 machine. I am having a number of issues, but
one that looks very much like a bug

CREATE EXTENSION plpython3u;

Throws this error. ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/16/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not be
found.

But the file clearly exists in that directory.

But the because it is a windows machine the path should really be
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\16\lib\plpython3.dll". Looks like some unix
style file paths are in use.

Is this a bug? or just misleading output. In any case that command does not
work in my environment.

PS running the sql shell as admin or not admin makes no difference.

Re: BUG #18408: ERROR: could not load library

От
Sandeep Thakkar
Дата:
Hi,

One of the possibilities could be that the dependency for "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/16/lib/plpython3.dll" is not resolved

--
Sandeep Thakkar

Re: BUG #18408: ERROR: could not load library

От
Francisco Olarte
Дата:
Just a comment...

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 at 03:23, PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> But the because it is a windows machine the path should really be
> "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\16\lib\plpython3.dll". Looks like some unix
> style file paths are in use.

IIRC MSDOS has supported both slashes ( forward and backwards, / and \
) since 2.0, the first version with directories support.

Also, IIRC, they just added \ because of CP/M. CPM used /, not - for
options, MSDOS 1 copied it and in MSDOS 2 you needed a way to express
a path which would not be confused with an option.

So, better use /, case correct paths with are valid in both.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: BUG #18408: ERROR: could not load library

От
Andrew Dunstan

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 5:55 AM Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> wrote:
Just a comment...

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 at 03:23, PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> But the because it is a windows machine the path should really be
> "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\16\lib\plpython3.dll". Looks like some unix
> style file paths are in use.

IIRC MSDOS has supported both slashes ( forward and backwards, / and \
) since 2.0, the first version with directories support.

Also, IIRC, they just added \ because of CP/M. CPM used /, not - for
options, MSDOS 1 copied it and in MSDOS 2 you needed a way to express
a path which would not be confused with an option.

So, better use /, case correct paths with are valid in both.

Yes, with very few exceptions forward slash paths work just fine on Windows.

The buildfarm animal drongo builds release 16 with python just fine. See <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=drongo&dt=2024-03-25%2023%3A16%3A56>

cheers

andrew