Обсуждение: minor tweak to catalogs.sgml pg_class.reltablespace

minor tweak to catalogs.sgml pg_class.reltablespace

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
While reviewing the patch for SET ACCESS METHOD[1] I noticed that
pg_class.relam is not documented fully for partitioned tables, so I
proposed the attached.  Also, I remove a comment that merely repeats
what was already said a few lines above.

This is intended for backpatch to 12.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/202403191013.w2kr7wqlamqz@alvherre.pgsql

Re: minor tweak to catalogs.sgml pg_class.reltablespace

Дата:
> While reviewing the patch for SET ACCESS METHOD[1] I noticed that
> pg_class.relam is not documented fully for partitioned tables, so I
> proposed the attached.

The bit about "(Not meaningful if the relation has no on-disk file.)"
is not correct, and now it's adjacent to text that contradicts it.
Maybe more like

       The tablespace in which this relation is stored.
       If zero, the database's default tablespace is implied.
       Not meaningful if the relation has no on-disk file,
       except for partitioned tables, where this is the tablespace
       in which partitions will be created when one is not
       specified in the creation command.

            regards, tom lane

Re: minor tweak to catalogs.sgml pg_class.reltablespace

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Mar-19, Tom Lane wrote:

> The bit about "(Not meaningful if the relation has no on-disk file.)"
> is not correct, and now it's adjacent to text that contradicts it.
> Maybe more like
>
>        The tablespace in which this relation is stored.
>        If zero, the database's default tablespace is implied.
>        Not meaningful if the relation has no on-disk file,
>        except for partitioned tables, where this is the tablespace
>        in which partitions will be created when one is not
>        specified in the creation command.

I like that wording, thanks, pushed like that.

"Right now the sectors on the hard disk run clockwise, but I heard a rumor that
you can squeeze 0.2% more throughput by running them counterclockwise.
It's worth the effort. Recommended."  (Gerry Pourwelle)