Обсуждение: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
jian he
Дата:
hi.
I think the "X" and "-" mean in this matrix [0] is not very intuitive.
mainly because "X" tends to mean negative things in most cases.
we can write a sentence saying "X"  means this, "-" means that.

or maybe Check mark [1] and Cross mark [2]  are more universal.
and we can use these marks.

"Only for local objects"
is there any reference explaining "local objects"?
I think local object means objects that only affect one single database?

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/event-trigger-matrix.html
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_mark
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_mark

Re: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 08:00:00AM +0800, jian he wrote:
> I think the "X" and "-" mean in this matrix [0] is not very intuitive.
> mainly because "X" tends to mean negative things in most cases.
> we can write a sentence saying "X"  means this, "-" means that.
>
> or maybe Check mark [1] and Cross mark [2]  are more universal.
> and we can use these marks.
>
> "Only for local objects"
> is there any reference explaining "local objects"?
> I think local object means objects that only affect one single database?

It is true that in Japan the cross mark refers to a negation, and
that's the opposite in France: I would put a cross on a table in the
case where something is supported.  I've never seen anybody complain
about the format of these tables, FWIW, but if these were to be
changed, the update should happen across the board for all the tables
and not only one.

Using ASCII characters also has the advantage to make the maintenance
clightly easier, in my opinion, because there is no translation effort
between these special characters and their XML equivalent, like "<"
<-> "<".
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 19 Mar 2024, at 02:14, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 08:00:00AM +0800, jian he wrote:
>> I think the "X" and "-" mean in this matrix [0] is not very intuitive.
>> mainly because "X" tends to mean negative things in most cases.
>> we can write a sentence saying "X"  means this, "-" means that.
>>
>> or maybe Check mark [1] and Cross mark [2]  are more universal.
>> and we can use these marks.
>>
>> "Only for local objects"
>> is there any reference explaining "local objects"?
>> I think local object means objects that only affect one single database?

That's a bigger problem than the table representation, we never define what
"local object" mean anywhere in the EVT docs.  EV's are global for a database,
but not a cluster, so I assume what this means is that EVs for non-DDL commands
like COMMENT can only fire for a specific relation they are attached to and not
database wide?

> It is true that in Japan the cross mark refers to a negation, and
> that's the opposite in France: I would put a cross on a table in the
> case where something is supported.  I've never seen anybody complain
> about the format of these tables, FWIW, but if these were to be
> changed, the update should happen across the board for all the tables
> and not only one.

AFAICT we only have one other table with "X" denoting support, the "Conflicting
Lock Modes" table under Concurrency Control chapter, and there we simply leave
the "not supported" column empty instead of using a dash.  Maybe the simple fix
here is to make these tables consistent by removing the dash from the event
trigger firing matrix?

As a sidenote, the table should gain a sentence explaining why the login column
is missing to avoid confusion.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 19.03.24 10:34, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> "Only for local objects"
>>> is there any reference explaining "local objects"?
>>> I think local object means objects that only affect one single database?
> That's a bigger problem than the table representation, we never define what
> "local object" mean anywhere in the EVT docs.  EV's are global for a database,
> but not a cluster, so I assume what this means is that EVs for non-DDL commands
> like COMMENT can only fire for a specific relation they are attached to and not
> database wide?

I think we could replace this whole table by a few definitions:

- "Local objects" are everything except "global objects".

- "Global objects", for the purpose of event triggers, are databases,
tablespaces, roles, role memberships, and parameter ACLs.

- DDL commands are all commands except SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
MERGE.

- Events triggers are supported for all DDL commands on all local objects.

Is this table saying anything else?

Is there any way to check if it's even correct?  For example, it shows
that the event "sql_​drop" can fire for a few ALTER commands, but how is
this determined?  If tomorrow someone changes ALTER DOMAIN to possibly
do a table rewrite, will they remember to update this table?

Re: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:

>> That's a bigger problem than the table representation, we never define what
>> "local object" mean anywhere in the EVT docs.  EV's are global for a database,
>> but not a cluster, so I assume what this means is that EVs for non-DDL commands
>> like COMMENT can only fire for a specific relation they are attached to and not
>> database wide?
>
> I think we could replace this whole table by a few definitions:

Simply extending the "Overview of Event Trigger Behavior" section slightly
might even be enough?

> If tomorrow someone changes ... will they remember to update this table?

Highly unlikely.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: doc issues in event-trigger-matrix.html

От
jian he
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 5:47 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> > That's a bigger problem than the table representation, we never define what
> > "local object" mean anywhere in the EVT docs.  EV's are global for a database,
> > but not a cluster, so I assume what this means is that EVs for non-DDL commands
> > like COMMENT can only fire for a specific relation they are attached to and not
> > database wide?
>
> I think we could replace this whole table by a few definitions:
>
> - "Local objects" are everything except "global objects".
>
> - "Global objects", for the purpose of event triggers, are databases,
> tablespaces, roles, role memberships, and parameter ACLs.
>
> - DDL commands are all commands except SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
> MERGE.
>
> - Events triggers are supported for all DDL commands on all local objects.
>
> Is this table saying anything else?
>
> Is there any way to check if it's even correct?  For example, it shows

comparing  these two html files:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-commands.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/event-trigger-matrix.html

summary:
all commands begin with "CREATE"
except the following two are not supported  by event trigger.
CREATE TRANSFORM
CREATE EVENT TRIGGER

generally, one "CREATE" corresponds to one "DROP" and one "ALTER".
but I found there is more to "CREATE" than  "ALTER".  (i didn't bother why)
there is one more "DROP" than "CREATE",
because of "DROP ROUTINE" and "DROP OWNED"
also
"CREATE TABLE"
"CREATE TABLE AS"
corresponds to one "DROP TABLE"

other command not begin with "CREATE" supported by event trigger (per
event-trigger-matrix) are:
COMMENT
GRANT Only for local objects
IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA
REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
REINDEX
REVOKE
SECURITY LABEL
SELECT INTO

all commands
that is not begin with "CREATE" | "DROP", "ALTER" (per sql-commands.html) are:
ABORT
ANALYZE
BEGIN
CALL