Обсуждение: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Attached is the release announcement draft for the 2023-11-09 release
(16.1 et al.).

Please review for accuracy and notable omissions. Please have all
feedback in by 2023-11-09 08:00 UTC at the latest (albeit the sooner the
better).

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
Jesper Pedersen
Дата:
Hi,

On 11/6/23 17:04, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Attached is the release announcement draft for the 2023-11-09 release
> (16.1 et al.).
>
> Please review for accuracy and notable omissions. Please have all
> feedback in by 2023-11-09 08:00 UTC at the latest (albeit the sooner
> the better).

s/PostgreSQL 10/PostgreSQL 11/g

Best regards,

  Jesper

Re: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 05:04:25PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all supported
> versions of PostgreSQL, including 16.1, 15.5, 14.10, 13.13, 12.17, and 11.22
> This release fixes over 55 bugs reported over the last several months.
>
> This release includes fixes for indexes where in certain cases, we advise
> reindexing. Please see the "Update" section for more details.

s/"Update" section/"Updating" section/ or change section title below.

Delete lines starting here ...

> This is the **final release of PostgreSQL 11**. PostgreSQL 10 will no longer
> receive
> [security and bug fixes](https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/).
> If you are running PostgreSQL 10 in a production environment, we suggest that
> you make plans to upgrade.

... to here.  They're redundant with "PostgreSQL 11 EOL Notice" below:

> For the full list of changes, please review the
> [release notes](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/).
>
> PostgreSQL 11 EOL Notice
> ------------------------
>
> **This is the final release of PostgreSQL 11**. PostgreSQL 11 is now end-of-life
> and will no longer receive security and bug fixes. If you are
> running PostgreSQL 11 in a production environment, we suggest that you make
> plans to upgrade to a newer, supported version of PostgreSQL. Please see our
> [versioning policy](https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/) for more
> information.

Re: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 23:04, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is the release announcement draft for the 2023-11-09 release
> (16.1 et al.).
>
> Please review for accuracy and notable omissions. Please have all
> feedback in by 2023-11-09 08:00 UTC at the latest (albeit the sooner the
> better).

> 20231109updaterelease.md
> [...]
> * Provide more efficient indexing of `date`, `timestamptz`, and `timestamp`
> values in BRIN indexes. While not required, we recommend
> [reindexing](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html) BRIN
> indexes that include these data types after installing this update.

As the type's minmax_multi opclasses are marked as default, I believe
it makes sense to explicitly mention that only indexes that use the
type's minmax_multi opclasses would need to be reindexed for them to
see improved performance. The types' *_bloom and *_minmax opclasses
were not affected and therefore do not need to be reindexed.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de meent.

Re: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 11/6/23 9:52 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 05:04:25PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all supported
>> versions of PostgreSQL, including 16.1, 15.5, 14.10, 13.13, 12.17, and 11.22
>> This release fixes over 55 bugs reported over the last several months.
>>
>> This release includes fixes for indexes where in certain cases, we advise
>> reindexing. Please see the "Update" section for more details.
>
> s/"Update" section/"Updating" section/ or change section title below.

Fixed.

> Delete lines starting here ...
>
>> This is the **final release of PostgreSQL 11**. PostgreSQL 10 will no longer
>> receive
>> [security and bug fixes](https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/).
>> If you are running PostgreSQL 10 in a production environment, we suggest that
>> you make plans to upgrade.
>
> ... to here.  They're redundant with "PostgreSQL 11 EOL Notice" below:

Initially, I strongly disagreed with this recommendation, as I've seen
enough people say that they were unaware that a community version is
EOL. We can't say this enough.

However, I did decide to clip it out because the notice is just below.

That said, perhaps we should put out a separate announcement that states
PostgreSQL 11 is EOL. We may want to consider doing standalone EOL
announcement -- perhaps 6 months out, and then day of, to make it
abundantly clear that a version is deprecating.

Finally, I included Matthias' downthread recommendation in this version.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: 2023-11-09 release announcement draft

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 09:02:03AM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 11/6/23 9:52 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 05:04:25PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> > Delete lines starting here ...
> >
> > > This is the **final release of PostgreSQL 11**. PostgreSQL 10 will no longer
> > > receive
> > > [security and bug fixes](https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/).
> > > If you are running PostgreSQL 10 in a production environment, we suggest that
> > > you make plans to upgrade.
> >
> > ... to here.  They're redundant with "PostgreSQL 11 EOL Notice" below:
>
> Initially, I strongly disagreed with this recommendation, as I've seen
> enough people say that they were unaware that a community version is EOL. We
> can't say this enough.
>
> However, I did decide to clip it out because the notice is just below.

I just figured it was a copy-paste error, given the similarity of nearby
sentences.  I have no concern with a general goal of saying more about the end
of v11.