Обсуждение: Automation

Automation

От
Rajesh Kumar
Дата:
I have been asked to do some of automation as a postgres dba. I have only one year exp as dba.

Help me with some hints of what kind of automation I can do here in a simple postgres setup.

Re: Automation

От
Ron
Дата:
On 10/11/23 10:36, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> I have been asked to do some of automation as a postgres dba. I have only
> one year exp as dba.

"Some automation" is pretty ambiguous.

> Help me with some hints of what kind of automation I can do here in a
> simple postgres setup.

What are you already doing?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Re: Automation

От
Dan Smith
Дата:
Hi Rajesh,

I agree with previous comments about this being pretty vague.  Here are some general ideas though:
  • Automate backups if applicable
  • Automate fail-over if applicable
  • Use Infrastructure / Configuration as Code
  • Use Schema Migrations
  • Implement CI/CD pipelines with static analysis (such as linting / anti-pattern checking) and automated testing.
Beyond these basics, I think people would really need to know what problem you are trying to solve.  There's no point in automating a solution if the problem isn't defined and understood.  Further, many solutions are really going to depend on your environment.

Best regards,

Dan Smith

Re: Automation

От