Обсуждение: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
PG Bug reporting form
Дата:

Bug reference:      18141
Logged by:          Ravi Agrawal
Email address:      ravi.s.agrawal23@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 13.11
Operating system:   RHEL

Hi Team,

We have updated PostgresSQL from version 13.4 to 13.11 and observing 'sorry,
too many clients' error very frequently.
Connection count is shooting up on performing basic operations  and crossing
the max_connections value. This has not been observed previously on Postgres
v13.4
We need to understand if this issue is caused due to the change in version.
Is there any history of known incidents facing this issue with the specific
version of PostgreSQL.

Appreciate your response on this.

Many Thanks,
Ravi Agrawal

BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
"Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)"
Дата:
I can second this behavior.  We did a few things to mitigate the issue.  HA may be at play here too.
We're still monitoring.

13.11 + HA - these issues
13.6 , no HA - no issues

We have updated PostgresSQL from version 13.4 to 13.11 and observing 'sorry, too many clients' error very frequently.
Connection count is shooting up on performing basic operations  and crossing the max_connections value. This has not
beenobserved previously on Postgres

v13.4
We need to understand if this issue is caused due to the change in version.
Is there any history of known incidents facing this issue with the specific version of PostgreSQL.

Appreciate your response on this.

Many Thanks,
Ravi Agrawal

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 9/29/23 10:31, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> We have updated PostgresSQL from version 13.4 to 13.11 and observing 'sorry,
> too many clients' error very frequently.
> Connection count is shooting up on performing basic operations  and crossing
> the max_connections value. This has not been observed previously on Postgres
> v13.4
> We need to understand if this issue is caused due to the change in version.
> Is there any history of known incidents facing this issue with the specific
> version of PostgreSQL.

Question -- are you using pg_stat_statements? If so, please try
disabling it and see if the issue goes away. Also was is your work_mem
setting? Does raising it help?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
Jeff Janes
We have updated PostgresSQL from version 13.4 to 13.11 and observing 'sorry,
too many clients' error very frequently.
Connection count is shooting up on performing basic operations  and crossing
the max_connections value. This has not been observed previously on Postgres
v13.4
We need to understand if this issue is caused due to the change in version.
Is there any history of known incidents facing this issue with the specific
version of PostgreSQL.

I think it is unlikely to be a bug.  How did you do the upgrade?  Just install the new binaries, then restart the server?

Can you capture plans from the newly slow queries and compare them to plans from the same queries before the upgrade?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 9/30/23 14:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 7:55 PM PG Bug reporting form
> <noreply@postgresql.org <mailto:noreply@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>     Bug reference:      18141
>     Logged by:          Ravi Agrawal
>     Email address: ravi.s.agrawal23@gmail.com
>     <mailto:ravi.s.agrawal23@gmail.com>
>     PostgreSQL version: 13.11
>     Operating system:   RHEL
>
>     Hi Team,
>
>     We have updated PostgresSQL from version 13.4 to 13.11 and observing
>     'sorry,
>     too many clients' error very frequently.
>     Connection count is shooting up on performing basic operations  and
>     crossing
>     the max_connections value. This has not been observed previously on
>     Postgres
>     v13.4
>     We need to understand if this issue is caused due to the change in
>     version.
>     Is there any history of known incidents facing this issue with the
>     specific
>     version of PostgreSQL.
>

> I think it is unlikely to be a bug.  How did you do the upgrade?  Just
> install the new binaries, then restart the server?

Maybe, maybe not. I have seen two other cases that are similar. One was
an upgrade from 12.8 to 12.12 and the other an upgrade from 13.4 to 13.8.

I checked and 12.8 was stamped is the same date as 13.4, and 12.12 the
same day as 13.8.

In both cases queries against pg_stat_statements suddenly started taking
more memory leading to spillage to pg_temp and a step degradation in
overall performance. In at least one of those cases the
solution/workaround was to increase work_mem. In the other I think
pg_stat_statements was disabled.

Myself and at least one other hacker looked at the pg_stat_statements
specific changes in that time interval and saw no smoking gun.

But it is possible that something else backpatched to both branches
between Aug 09, 2021 and Aug 8, 2022 has caused a more general
performance regression which we have yet to track down.

At least based on this sample of two (now maybe 3?) folks with similar
symptoms.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Maybe, maybe not. I have seen two other cases that are similar. One was
> an upgrade from 12.8 to 12.12 and the other an upgrade from 13.4 to 13.8.

> I checked and 12.8 was stamped is the same date as 13.4, and 12.12 the
> same day as 13.8.

> In both cases queries against pg_stat_statements suddenly started taking
> more memory leading to spillage to pg_temp and a step degradation in
> overall performance. In at least one of those cases the
> solution/workaround was to increase work_mem. In the other I think
> pg_stat_statements was disabled.

> Myself and at least one other hacker looked at the pg_stat_statements
> specific changes in that time interval and saw no smoking gun.

> But it is possible that something else backpatched to both branches
> between Aug 09, 2021 and Aug 8, 2022 has caused a more general
> performance regression which we have yet to track down.

Hmm.  My first instinct is to wonder about changes in plan selection.
How complex were the troublesome queries?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 10/1/23 14:09, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> Maybe, maybe not. I have seen two other cases that are similar. One was
>> an upgrade from 12.8 to 12.12 and the other an upgrade from 13.4 to 13.8.
>
>> I checked and 12.8 was stamped is the same date as 13.4, and 12.12 the
>> same day as 13.8.
>
>> In both cases queries against pg_stat_statements suddenly started taking
>> more memory leading to spillage to pg_temp and a step degradation in
>> overall performance. In at least one of those cases the
>> solution/workaround was to increase work_mem. In the other I think
>> pg_stat_statements was disabled.
>
>> Myself and at least one other hacker looked at the pg_stat_statements
>> specific changes in that time interval and saw no smoking gun.
>
>> But it is possible that something else backpatched to both branches
>> between Aug 09, 2021 and Aug 8, 2022 has caused a more general
>> performance regression which we have yet to track down.
>
> Hmm.  My first instinct is to wonder about changes in plan selection.
> How complex were the troublesome queries?

I think both of these cases involved a number of common attributes:

* The queries against pg_stat_statements were
   relatively complex
* The other queries on the system were relatively
   long and complex (and thus the query string length
   in pg_stat_statements)
* Prior to the upgrade the systems were overall
   keeping up, but extremely busy

In one case it seems that the upgrade caused a significant increase of
temp file usage. This impacted the system enough that other active
queries took longer, and thus number of active connections increased.
Raising work_mem eliminated the temp file usage and cpu loads dropped
back to similar levels as they were prior to the minor upgrade.

The other case had different specifics, but generally involved increased
memory usage. In that one eliminating the use of pg_stat_statements
restored performance. They did not try raising work_mem (as I understand
it), and I did not get any info regarding temp file spillage there.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #18141: sorry, too many clients error occurring very frequently

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> On 10/1/23 14:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>>> But it is possible that something else backpatched to both branches
>>> between Aug 09, 2021 and Aug 8, 2022 has caused a more general
>>> performance regression which we have yet to track down.

>> Hmm.  My first instinct is to wonder about changes in plan selection.
>> How complex were the troublesome queries?

> I think both of these cases involved a number of common attributes:
> * The queries against pg_stat_statements were
>    relatively complex
> * The other queries on the system were relatively
>    long and complex (and thus the query string length
>    in pg_stat_statements)
> * Prior to the upgrade the systems were overall
>    keeping up, but extremely busy
> In one case it seems that the upgrade caused a significant increase of
> temp file usage. This impacted the system enough that other active
> queries took longer, and thus number of active connections increased.
> Raising work_mem eliminated the temp file usage and cpu loads dropped
> back to similar levels as they were prior to the minor upgrade.

Interesting.  After some desultory trawling through the commit log,
I'm wondering if there could be some connection to