Обсуждение: Upgrade postgres 14.6 to minor version using source code

Upgrade postgres 14.6 to minor version using source code

От
Daulat
Дата:
Hello Team,

We are using the postgres 14.6 on Ubuntu that was installed via source code (./configure) . Now we want to upgrade it to minor version 14.9. Please suggest, what is the process for upgrading the minor releases if postgres was installed using source code.
I know , pg_upgrade does not support minor version upgrades.

Thanks,

Re: Upgrade postgres 14.6 to minor version using source code

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 13:40 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> We are using the postgres 14.6 on Ubuntu that was installed via source code (./configure) .
> Now we want to upgrade it to minor version 14.9. Please suggest, what is the process
> for upgrading the minor releases if postgres was installed using source code.

Simple: stop the server, install 14.9, then start the server with the new software.

You should also read the release notes at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14-9.html#id-1.11.6.5.4
Sometimes there are additional things to consider.  However, since you are
upgrading from a release after 14.3, there is nothing more to do.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Upgrade postgres 14.6 to minor version using source code

От
Daulat
Дата:
You mean, just we have to perform the below steps
sudo ./configure --prefix=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/ --with-openssl --exec-prefix=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/ --bindir=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/bin --with-ldap
make
make install

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 1:46 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 13:40 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> We are using the postgres 14.6 on Ubuntu that was installed via source code (./configure) .
> Now we want to upgrade it to minor version 14.9. Please suggest, what is the process
> for upgrading the minor releases if postgres was installed using source code.

Simple: stop the server, install 14.9, then start the server with the new software.

You should also read the release notes at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14-9.html#id-1.11.6.5.4
Sometimes there are additional things to consider.  However, since you are
upgrading from a release after 14.3, there is nothing more to do.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Upgrade postgres 14.6 to minor version using source code

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 14:41 +0530, Daulat wrote:
> You mean, just we have to perform the below steps
> download software , wget https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v14.9/postgresql-14.9.tar.gz
> sudo ./configure --prefix=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/ --with-openssl --exec-prefix=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/
--bindir=/opt/PostgreSQL-14/bin--with-ldap
> make
> make install

Pretty much, yes.

I'd delete the old software before I run "make install", so that
no files are left behind.  There should be no missing files in a
minor update, but it cannot hurt.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe